A Winning Combination
Discovery Latest6 November 2019
Discovery’s Supported Employment Team is delighted to be the winner of the BASE (British Supported Employment Association) Team of the Year award!
Supported Employment Manager, Alex Seddon said: “We are overjoyed to have won this award and it is testament to the team’s hard work and dedication. We have seen the number of people we support into employment grow to over 100, which is nearly 13% of all the people supported by Discovery in Somerset. It is our mission to work with all employers across Somerset to recognise the untapped talent pool of people that we support. ”
Discovery is working with employers such as: EDF, Notaro Care, The Perfume Shop, Somerset County Council, The Co-operative Group, KPL, ITS Construction, Millfield, Musgrove Park Hospital, KIER Waste, MFA Bowls, Morrison, Martock Surgery, Eagle Tavern, Yeovil District Hospital, Tesco, Eco Clean, Radford Fudge, Manor Hotel, Cricket St Thomas, M&S, Host, Asda, Sherborne School, Tesco, KFC, Dominos & The Range.
Families of the people we support said:
• “They helped my son get a job in IT, which was what he really wanted but before Discovery he worked in a toy shop”
• “It is so important for a young adult with learning disabilities to get the extra support they need to get a job. I don’t what we would have done without Discovery’s help”
The people we support said:
• “I found them easy to talk to and put me on the right path to employment”
• “They were very nice to me, linked with myself and family and helped with interview preparation”
• “Having never used the service before and certainly not knowing it existed, it has certainly helped with our new employee and helping them gain the confidence and knowledge within the employment.”
• “Worked for many months to plan. Worked out what areas would suit each individual and what they are interested in.”